Inter-familial Competition

The dialogue is very competitive between the parents and the kids, as Karam employs language like “score one for mom” (71). The criticisms and comedic insults back and forth from parents to kids regarding the state of the house and neighborhood further illustrate the competitive vibe. Thus, perhaps in their pursuit of better lives for themselves, Brigid and Aimee are in a competition with their parents. And this competition produces an environment where family members are constantly trying to boast their accomplishments while diminishing those of other members.

2 thoughts on “Inter-familial Competition

1. saupton

Stephen I wonder if this inter-familial competition has a connection to the presentation last class from I think Nico on the American Dream and earning more than your parents.

2. Kathryn Leininger

I agree that a sense of competition is present in some sense within the family members, however I attributed a lot of this to light-hearted joking around. My family and I often make jokes about each other and speak in fake-mocking ways, so maybe this is why I interpreted it this way. Did others find their dialogue to be more serious as opposed to funny?