Borrowed Language in Twelfth Night

Somewhat in relation to the discussion we had about interpretation and reading in Twelfth Night, I’ve been thinking about how Shakespeare’s characters’ use of borrowed language so often causes confusion in the interwoven plot-lines.

For example, when Sir Andrew eavesdrops on Viola and Olivia’s conversation in Act III Scene I, he hears Viola’s eloquent, romantic diction and says to Sir Toby, “‘Odors,’ ‘pregnant,’ and ‘vouchsafed’ – I’ll get ’em all three all ready” (NA 1076). The anthology’s footnote tells us that he means to “commit” these words “to memory for later use” (NA 1076). However, being the dolt that he is, Sir Andrew has no idea what these words actually mean, so any “later use” of them will probably be out of context and nonsensical.

Additionally, in Act III Scene IV, Malvolio quotes what he believes to be Olivia’s letter back to her, thinking she will recognize her own words, but she interprets his speech not as quotations but as statements directed toward her, which confuses her so much that she declares, “Why, this is very midsummer madness” (NA 1083).

What do these examples tell us about the Puritans’, and humans’ in general, penchant for borrowing language to serve their own ends, religious and otherwise? How does the interpretation – or literalization – of these words affect conversations and relationships? What arguments might Shakespeare be making about originality and authenticity?