The Fair Youth (re: Theme of Sonnets in Twelfth Night)

I was also struck by how much of the play contained elements of the Fair Youth sequence of sonnets, not just in terms of the sonnets imploring the Fair Youth to bear children. Critics have argued about the nature of the relationship between the sonnets’ speaker and the Fair Youth, for in some it seems more platonic and in others (such as Sonnet 18) it is more explicitly romantic.Throughout the Globe production, the relationship between Duke Orsino and Caesario toes the line between platonic friendship and sexual romance. Orsino is drawn to Caesario, touched by the youth’s effeminate beauty, and in Act 2, Scene 4 of the production, he creates a physical intimacy with Caesario while listening to Feste’s song. This scene reminded me of Sonnet 20 in which the speaker laments that the Fair Youth is not a woman, an idea that is also reflected in Viola’s hinting at her love for the Duke in the same scene. I am curious as to how the intimacy enacted on the stage would have been received by the audience’s of Shakespeare’s time.