Respectful hunting?

Something that struck me early in this section of A Dream in Polar Fog was the comparison between hunting in this novel and hunting in some of the much earlier literature we read in the course. Because the Chukchi people are hunting exclusively for subsistence, they seem to have a much greater respect for the animal that they are hunting than the aristocratic hunters described in the earlier short stories we read.

Although I know that these pieces were published in very different time periods (A Dream in Polar Fog published in 1970, much of the other literature late 19th century-very early 20th century), they show an interesting contrast between those who hunt for food and those who hunt for sport and are about similar time periods (early 20th century). Though written in different times and about different groups of people, I think the comparison highlights a theme that comes up constantly in class about respecting nature. The Chukchi are able to live in one of the harshest environments in the world because they respect nature and, in turn, nature respects them. The old wives tale about the White Woman, mother of whales, told by Toko introduces the idea of  “universal brotherhood— that unattainable dream of mankind, rooted in the first beginnings of history” (108). The aristocratic hunting we read about earlier in the class, which was largely segregated by class, ignored any dream of universal brotherhood both between different classes and animals. In some instances, the animals would be captured and mamed so that they could be contained and more easily captured by a wealthy aristocrat. The Chukchi, on the other hand, are thankful for every catch they make. Toko demonstrates this respect for animals when he cautions John “not to get too many nerpa. What’s the sense in killing the animal for no use?” (112).

The contrast between different approaches to hunting made me think about how the geographical location and traditions of different people influence their relationship with nature in Russia and the different ways that this is represented in the literature we have read.

2 thoughts on “Respectful hunting?

1. Professor Alyssa Gillespie

Sadie, my original supposition was correct–when I looked back at the novel again I saw that the dates are explicitly given: the story begins in 1910, and the action that is now taking place is seemingly in 1913… So the information about the 1950s was misleading, as I’d thought. This is pre-World War I and pre-Russian Revolution (i.e., pre-Soviet times).