Abstract (Statement of Topic)

The purpose of this study is to explore the phenomenon of eSports, also knows an electronic sports. The eSports community is dominated by the millennial generation allowing me to directly relate to the research I discovered as well as gain a greater understanding of our generation and our interests as a whole.  Also, eSports is an industry I am simply fascinated by as it breaks all traditional norms of what society considers to be athletics. When researching the inner workings of the eSports community I discovered three main trends that seem to play a pivotal role. 1) Finding Legitimacy in mainstream society 2) The impact of accessibility and social class and 3) The gender disparity in eSports participation. Lastly, I conclude that while this community is on its way to becoming a billion- dollar industry it is still fairly unknown by a sizeable amount of the population. As a result, the eSports community has trouble gaining credibility in mainstream society. Furthermore, one’s financial means has the ability to restrict one’s access into the community if they are unable to afford devices to play games or buy the games themselves. Lastly, gender is a tricky topic in eSports as it is a relatively new industry and still has yet to truly cement themselves in mainstream culture. Equal gender participation is an issue, but it does not seem to be a major focus of the eSports community at the moment. That being said, all signs point to gender representation becoming a major priority in the near future.