Abstract (Statement of Topic)

The widespread popularity of “vlogs” may confuse some people, as it did for me when I first heard of them. Why is it that people want to hold a camera in front of their face and record their day? And, perhaps more shockingly, why do people want to watch these videos? In this project, I explore the intersections of authenticity and performance with respect to vlogging. Although the “vlog” is supposed to be a raw, “authentic” look at the individual’s “back stage,” devoid of performance, it is impossible accomplish this. Because a vlogger’s authenticity results in more subscribers and ad revenue, these content creators manufacture and replicate markers of authenticity through performances, vlog format, and editing techniques. The “vlog” is instead a different form of front stage performance, where the performer intentionally acts as though they are in their “back stage” with the goal of seeming more authentic. In an effort to understand these intersections, I create my own vlog and try to seem as “authentic” as possible.