Neanderthal Cave Art

U-Th dating from carbonate crusts in 3 ?? caves ➡evidence of cave art that predates arrival of modern??‍???‍♂️in Europe 45-40 Ka. #WhoDidIt?

Art work oldest min age dated to 64.8 Ka ➡ 20 kyr before modern human’s arrival in Europe. ☠ remains confirm that ? was done by Neanderthals

Art work = lines, dots, disks, & hand stencils made w/ red pigment. Shows capabilities of Neanderthals and early forms of symbolic behavior.

0 thoughts on “Neanderthal Cave Art

1. gbensen

I wonder how we think about the term ?‍♂️ vs. just being ?. I would never want to walk into some social event hosted by people I don’t know very well because I would feel ? – I would want friends there! Does this ? necessarily mean I am being ?‍♂️? There must be a difference.

?‍♂️ = Exclusion/excluded
    ? = Uncomfortable
    ? = discomfort

2. santunez

This conversation in class left me thinking about some of the expectations that have been established on our campus. I think off-campus houses are obviously private spaces (the people living there are paying to live there, it is their house), but they are not solely places of masculine identities.

1. santunez

Last weekend, I received an email from a female in the senior class inviting at least 200+ people to her off-campus house for a party. How do we respond to the statement made in class that males are the ones deciding “which types of people they want at their houses/parties” while females are doing the same thing? Goes back to the question of if women do have power in the social scene.

3. kpruskko

I think it is fascinating that being welcomed into spaces vs. claiming spaces are seen as feminine and masculine behaviors, respectively. How is this stereotype challenged or disrupted by female dominated spheres like nursing or elementary school teaching? If people are active in creating and reproducing space, do individuals themselves have the power to alter physical spaces? Or does it take a group effort?

4. mstanhop

Interesting to consider if ?? really exist on ?. An example might be the ? in the gym. Not because it is ?, but because it could be a space where ? can engage in ? and enact aspects of their ?. If ?? do exist on ?, are they really places where ? act out “masculine codes of conduct” that are “incompatible” with their ??, as M&B suggest about ? ? (17)?

?? = man caves
    ? = campus
    ? = weight room
    ? = exclusionary
    ? = men
    ? = fraternal bonding
    (?) ? = (domestic) masculinity
    ?? = student identity
    M&B = Moisio and Beruschashvili