My Environment

Micron on paper 14×17

X

Darkening those latches might have been one of those steps too far–but you never learn about things like that until you try them. They kind of beg for a third (or maybe five) similar accents to establish them as a visual theme and unifying element. Or maybe things would have been better without them.

micron on paper 6×8

X

David Hockney

micron on paper 6×8

X

Someone suggested otherwise, but I think the slightly off center and unexpected cropping works well in these. It makes them more candid, like something caught at a glance.

micron on paper 6×8

The wood texture opens the door to stippling on the stones and other hatched textures. The cross contours on the interior of the pot would work better if they actually described those planes, rather than being a 2D pattern inside an elliptical shape.

2 thoughts on “My Environment”

1. This week I did 3 smaller drawings and one large one. My intention was to continue with my theme of drawing random things and scenes in and around my house. I first did the two with people in them. These had to be faster drawings because my sister could wake up from her nap any moment, and my dad had to go do work. This made the drawings fun and a little exciting because I was trying to go quickly. Since these were small drawings, I wanted to try a larger, longer drawing. I chose the place in my kitchen where we store our knives. It is a box filled with very long wooden skewers placed vertically, so the knives stick into them. The knife box was in front of a window, and it was raining outside so I decided to add the water drips. From there, it felt off balance so I kept adding more and more detail, which took much longer than I expected. I was wrestling with the decision of whether or not to add the bush branches that I could see out the window but decided against it. The last small drawing is a brass tub that holds wood and newspaper, which is in a corner next to my our wood stove.

Overall I feel like this week I got some good practice time. I am still struggling with where to stop adding things so I don’t get burnt out of contour drawing. I also tried using two different size microns (01 and 03) but it didn’t make much of a difference because I could get a variety of lines from both based on how hard I pressed.

I am currently missing ballpoint pen. Like Jack mentioned in his post last week, microns are stiffer, while ballpoints flow more. I feel like my drawings are getting jerky because I have to wrestle with the micron a bit. The micron also sometimes doesn’t lay down a mark, or depending on with what angle you use it, it will result in a thick or thin (or sometimes double) line. I welcome any suggestions of composition, subject matter, and if I should get looser or stay slow!

2. Hi Perrin!
    I am impressed with your drawings! The level of detail, especially in the two still lifes, is really descriptive of the setting – the drawings look like a snapshot of the room. I have always been really impressed by your ability to incorporate the background of a subject into your drawings so effectively. I definitely like that you are incorporating the context of the subjects into your drawings; it evokes a mood. There is both a stillness and a restlessness in the drawings. Your lines have movement, especially in the two figure drawings, yet you are drawing (likely) unmoving figures. The drawing of the knives by the window also has movement in the rain and wood but you can also see that the interior portion of the scene is still. I really like the composition of this drawing. I am impressed by the detail in your second still life, especially in the pot, wood, and brick. The texture is very evident, however, I am a little confused by the perspective due to the placement of the stove on the right. I think the composition could be strengthened by focusing on the pot individually or the stove individually. These two parts of the drawing (including the background walls/floor) feel a little separate. Alternatively, it might be interesting to zoom out when you are including a large object like a stove? I really like way you drew your sister and father, however, I think for both of these drawings it might be good to zoom out a bit to include the entire figure and more of the background context. Overall, I really like the way you slowly drew all the details on the still lifes and incorporated more movement and energy into the figure drawings!