5 thoughts on “Mythological Drawings II”

1. Hello everyone!
    First of all my apologies for uploading my work so close to the deadline, I had some technical problems.
    I had a lot of fun doing the first drawing, but unfortunately I’m not satisfied with the result. I feel it doesn’t fully complete the idea of doing a drawing, as well I wasn’t truly liking enough the composition. There was some progress between last week and this one, I must say. First, I start using a 3D rendering figure in order to have a more realistic human position as a reference, which made things more appealing, and more proper.
    This week I learn a couple of things that I’m planning to do as I moving on with this project. The first one is the canvas, drawing on denim is a bit of a challenge, also I notice that at the end I decided to paint the background in white, so I decided to stick with a regular white canvas. The second thing that I learned is composition, I need to take more on consideration the size of the figure and make some cropping rather than just go straight and put it on the canvas. Because I didn’t truly liked how the colors look in the canvas, I decided to use micron pens to do my drawings and use line weight to mark depths (this also will help me to improve this skill), and if necessary some really sutil washes, rather than paint the figure and left the rest in blank.
    Thanks!

1. Allie, The way you present your seated figure is striking, really quite wonderful. I like the discordance of the spare contour drawing of the background, which is fascinating on its own, and the beautifully colored figure which jumps from the page. And denim? Wow, creative, expressive, original, aesthetic! Your drawing of the right hand is beautiful. Given its position on the face, though, it looks like the elbow needs a support. The left hand feels too small to me. Finally, keep experimenting with the shadows, especially below the thighs. Maybe they’re not even necessary, if you want to capture the illusion of a floating mythological figure?

Your second drawing, which I presume is a study for the first, has the same issues of elbow and left hand. Mark has remarked that we tend not to be generous enough with the feet, and I agree here, though that’s not an issue if you crop them. Great work building on Week 1!

2. Hi Ali!

I love the creativity of this drawing. are those snakes on her head? very cool.

I am curious as to why you are decided to work on denim or canvas. It’s definitely a rougher surface so I imagine that it making drawing lines more difficult. The placement of the figure sitting on the bench across the street is successful but you were right in your assessment and that you want to work on fitting the whole figure. The building in the background looks really proportional and the perspective is effective. Did you draw it from a photo? Maybe instead of digitallyrendering you could try to find some images of skater girls on the internet. It could give you more information about proportions and realistic poses/ body placement. This would then inform the digital renderings you make. Her right arm is kind of floating and the forearm looks small.

Your choice of color is really cool. The juxtaposition between the realistic-looking building in the back with the ‘magical’ but casual figure in the front is something I’ve never seen before. You’re doing something really original and I can’t wait to see more.

2. Hi Aly!

First of all, I love how much your drawings have improved from last week. My quick response to how said you’ve struggled with composition, especially if you have decided to work with the same subject is that it might be helpful to do some quick rough sketches before getting started on the canvas.

In terms of how you put together the drawing, I wish to see a more dynamic expression of the identity of the person with more thoughtfully designed gestures and even more cohesive interaction with what’s in the background.

Since you are working with a human figure, I think it would be quite a great idea to find someone to pose, even just briefly, for you to get the organic feeling from natural body curvatures.