Lamp and vase on table

Pencil on paper, 12 x 9 inches

X

For this first week, I decided to draw part of a side table in our living room because I wanted to draw something on a smaller scale. My intention for this drawing was to produce something photo-realistic. I concentrated on the shading and value of the objects. Throughout the process, I was reminded that I haven’t quite discovered my drawing style and I was disappointed about how I shaded the objects. Because I don’t think it gave me the realistic effect that I was going for. I’m not sure how I can improve this. I also had trouble with drawing the dried flowers. There are more flowers in the vase with infinite amounts of detail. So my question is, how do we approach a highly detailed subject? Is there a certain method I can be using? I also don’t think I successfully captured the depth of the space. The back wall can just as easily be on the same plane as the objects. For my next drawing project, I would like to try a more impressionistic style.

__________

From Mark:

It sounds like you’re not going to stay with this approach, but if you were, the work of Charles Sheeler comes to mind:

Charles Sheeler, 25 x 19.5″

This was done with conté crayon, keeping a super sharp point to get the finest grain possible. It’s also from a photo, which helped him to lock in the values and simply (so to speak) transcribe them.

I also see the hint of something in that vase that reminds me of the work of Gail Spaien, who teaches at Maine College of Art:

Gail Spaien

This also connects, for me, with your interest in Frida Kahlo’s work, which is so rich in patterning. Pattern could also be a solution because large flat areas are one of the hardest things to ask a pencil to do.

I should know, having made pencil drawings like this one for years….

MW, “Grey Rainbow,” 1978, Graphite on paper, 9 x 12 inches

Note the reflector on the lamp, which has a small self-portrait in it.