Getting a feel for the micron .08

all but last 2: micron* .08 on paper, 9 x 12

last 2: micron* .08 in medium moleskine

Gina Occhiogrosso

She’s actually doing these as an accordion book, with clever use of the folds in alignment with the architecture to create low-relief spaces.

And one by Maine artist Kim Bernard, who’s doing daily drawing prompts on the Center for Maine Contemporary Art Facebook page:

Like Occhiogrosso, this was drawn in the last few days, in response to being at home full-time. Nice combination of pure contour and a more sketchy line.

5 thoughts on “Getting a feel for the micron .08”

1. Big mixed bag here. The underlying drive behind these drawings was to explore and get used to the micron* pen. Straight lines, circles, ellipses, curves, hard angles. A bit of perspective work, too, both rigorously (heater) and loosely “off the dome” (piano). I also wanted to practice drawing with the micron* without looking (face sheet). It doesn’t behave like a ballpoint pen. With the micron*, it’s easier to maintain a straight line (rays + grids) but it’s harder to move freely and change direction on a dime. It’s more conducive to hatching and geometry, less conducive to organic and nimble line work.

Thinking about working more in perspective but also considering incorporating ballpoint (maybe brush pen) for more expressive contour drawing. The micron* is sturdy but I miss being able to dance around.

2. I also used a micron (or macron??) pen! I love how you describe how this pen felt compared to ballpoint and other mediums. I really like your hatching ones (piano especially) and I also love the sketches (maia on the couch, the one of the trees and river and building) because they are loose and are almost impressionistic. I’m not sure what your proposal was exactly so not sure what is going to unify the project, but I think it’s great that you are experimenting with a lot of things right now. I think my favorite one is the faces – so cool!!! It feels like with that one you were able to “dance” and let it flow, and you have created a strong visual as a result. If I were you I would eventually decide between contour or shading/hatching. I think doing more hatching could be really cool but only if you like doing it. Otherwise stick to just contour. They look great!!!

3. I’m loving your choices on trying out various concepts and subjects. I bet you have become much more confident with the medium while gaining a lot more insight into its quality and the types of marks you are able to make with it. Some of the drawings provide me the same essence from your gesture drawings in class with the purple pen. The form is free, the lines are breathing. However, I almost wish to see more of “losing control”. I guess there is always a tug of war between correctness in terms of perspective and expressive lines and forms. I feel like your lines could be more polarized: to be tighter to be more accurate in telling perspectives and to be looser to indicate texture or to spice it up with more nuances. Have both maybe? Again, that’s only ideas on how I will tackle these drawings.

4. Hi Jack,

For week one, good to see these experiments with the micron pen and to hear your observations about how it works (which I didn’t know).

Good comments from Perrin and Harry, and I agree with her about the ones with hatching–those raise my attention and interest the most (while also noting that one of your best drawing of the semester, or at least the one I most recall, was the pure contour drawing of the male model; how could I forget his name?…).

I’ve added a couple of images by Gina Occhiogrosso, a friend who teaches at The University of St. Rose in Albany, NY. She’s staying with her mom through this and doing what you and a couple of other people in the class are doing–documenting where they are. She has a great hatching style. Not recommending you swap yours for hers–I like your hatching just as it is–but maybe some encouragement to do more.

I’m hoping this week you’ll settle into your thesis (home life on Boody Street) a little more . You’ll find other relevant examples of this idea that I’ve posted on Perrin’s page as well as Adam’s, Claire’s, and Megan’s. As I mentioned to Perrin, look also at Avigdor Arikha, Lois Dodd, Fairfield Porter, and Jane Freilicher.

Very curious to see what you’ll have for us next—