Ian Strudwick – Portraiture

(MW) Unless this was drawn on grey paper (and let me know if it was), I wanted to give it a better chance to be seen. The exposure above is too dark.

2 thoughts on “Ian Strudwick – Portraiture”

1. This last portrait drawing was a genuine struggle for me. I found that I was motivated to put more time and effort into this drawing as it was of someone who I know very well. I wanted to make sure I represented my mom in the best way I could. I think I did well to get the general shape correct by making sure the spaces in between the major features were accurate but still could improve on many different aspects. The hair was the area where I struggled the most as I initially did not take my time and soon realized the importance of focusing on the values instead of the general shapes. After erasing chunks of hair over and over again, I finally accepted the final version. I do still think that the values in the hair can be much more accurate as well as some of the transitions in value on her neck and around the eyes.

2. This is a really good drawing. I think the motivation to put more time and effort into this drawing for your mom, show’s in the attention to personality in this piece. The spaces you choose to highlight, such as the smile lines on the face and the overlapping hair begin to tell a story in an interesting way. The ear on the right side of the head was something I struggled with on my drawing and you did a great job with it. I mentioned it in class, but I really liked what you did with the teeth. My favorite aspect of this drawing is how hard it is to pull apart. Every aspect fits so well, its hard to talk about any feature on its own. My only critique is that I liked the cross-hatching on the chin and wish that less orderly lines like those appeared more throughout the piece, but once again I thought this cool.