2 thoughts on “Ryan’s Self Portrait”

1. I took the original approach to the self-portrait with the pencil value style. I was very pleased overall by the outcome of my portrait, but there were a few things that I tried fixing over and over again that never turned out the way I wanted. The nose and the jawline in particular. The nose looks a bit too wide and too dark upon looking at it now and the jawline looks too wide as well. I tried fixing these two features several times but they never turned out the way I wanted. The rest of the drawing came out pretty much the way I wanted it to so I am happy about that. The eyebrows, hair, and eyes in particular I spent a great deal of time on and I think it shows.

2. Ryan, I totally agree with you about the eyebrows. They are really well done and you can really see the amount of time that you put into them. I like you how you kept the high collar in you composition. I helped to frame the face and gives us some background with which to see the head in space. I also think that the under eye shading was done really well. The contours of the face are very clearly represented they mimic the light source well. I see some smudges on the right side of the paper, and I think that the bottom eyelids could have been lighter or not touching the iris of your eyes. Overall this is a great portrait. Nice Job!