Online Course Description and Requirements

Course Content

Over the remainder of the semester, there will be five one-week drawing projects. See Summary of Upcoming Projects, in the menu, for more details. Detailed written and illustrated guidelines for each project, as well examples, technical instructions, and any other support material you might need will be provided here and/or email.

Submitting Your Work

All work will be photographed, edited (to improve the photo), and submitted through Blackboard. See How to Photograph, Edit, & Submit Your Drawings Online, in the menu, for more details.

You will be required to submit a photo of one drawing for each project but you can submit photos of additional work for each project if you would like to.

Self-Reflection & Peer Feedback

For each project you will be asked to submit a brief written response about your experience with each drawing as well as the resulting work. This will offer an important chance to step back and reflect on the process. This should be about 100 words and no more than 150 words.

In addition to your thoughts on your own work, you’ll be asked to respond to the work of two of your classmates each week. These should also be about 100 words each and no more than 150 words. I will assign you to a three-person group for this purpose, and the groups will rotate with each assignment to ensure a range of opinions.

In all cases, keep your writing informal. Do your best to let your natural voice come through in an honest and open way.

I’m requiring your written responses to be short for three reasons. First, I want our primary focus to be on the work itself. Second, learning to craft clear, concise statements is a valuable skill that will serve you well beyond this class. And third, it will assist me in hearing your thoughts and responding to them as quickly as possible.

Questions & My Feedback on Your Work

In addition to peer feedback, I will be available to offer informal feedback on works-in-progress at any time. I will also provide written feedback on completed drawings via email.

Contacting Me / Virtual Office Hours

You’re welcome to contact me by email at any time. I will always endeavor to answer you just as quickly as possible, but my “black out periods” will be from about 4 to 8 p.m., when I’ll be helping feed and put the kids to bed, and various times through the day for other family activities.

I will also be available for virtual office hours, for one-to-one meetings, via Zoom, primarily at our normal class time (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 to 11), but also by appointment. To schedule an appointment please email me in advance.

Grading

As you know, the College is adopting a grading policy of Credit/No Credit. To receive credit for Drawing I, you’re required to complete each of our five remaining projects, on time, and to provide self-reflection and peer feedback in writing for all projects.

But you know me. Above all, I will work with you in any way necessary to accommodate your unique needs and learning preferences, and do all I can to help you receive credit for the course.

All I ask of you in return, to ensure the smooth operation of the course during a difficult and uncertain time, is your prompt reply to emails, especially those requesting information about the conduct of the course. These will have the words REPLY NEEDED, in large friendly letters, in the subject line. Slow or absent responses to these messages slows everyone’s progress and absorbs time, attention, and energy I would rather spend working with you on your drawings themselves.

As such, and whatever the quality of your work, late submissions and tardy or absent responses to emails— barring extenuating circumstances, of course–will have a serious impact on your credit for the course.

Thanks in advance for adhering to this basic requirement.

As always, and as each of us navigates the uncertainties of the coming weeks (myself included), simply let me know in advance—or certainly just as quickly as possible—about any changes in your status that might affect your ability to meet a deadline or respond to requests in a timely way.

Above all, this is your time to make new discoveries and improve your skills in drawing. Beyond that, it’s simply adherence to the basic requirements of the course, as outlined above, that will ensure that you receive credit for the course.

Please Stay in Touch and Keep Me Informed About You

Always feel free to reach out with questions. I am happy to email or connect through Zoom.

Keep me informed of anything I need to know about the evolution of your own health and circumstances so I can do my best to accommodate your needs and offer support.