Amanda- Portrait and Practice

Simply tremendous job, Amanda. Beautifully composed and organized and a very fine response to Hanna’s modeling technique. The only room for improvement is subtler gradation (more gradual fading to white) on the shadow on the forehead, and a bit richer value range and modeling in the eye socket and eye on our left. The whites of her eye there are a shade darker.

Excellent work–and very fine studies as well. Nice to see–

One thought on “Amanda- Portrait and Practice”

1. I was very daunted going into this drawing and practicing value, but the tutorial videos definitely helped to build some comfort. The schematic was for sure the most frustrating part, and my features are still off (e.g. I think the eyes are a little too low and the face a bit too narrow), but after that the drawing seemed to go more smoothly. It was really fun to find the nuances in value as I went, though I am afraid that I didn’t preserve my lightest lights well enough. I think I did less smudging than Hanna did as I was worried about ruining the value I had built, but I did do some minimal smudging in some areas like the forehead. Overall, the drawing was fun to do and I like how it came out as a portrait of its own, although it doesn’t look quite like the original.