4 thoughts on “Max Muradian – Drawing in place”

1. I am underwhelmed by my use of value in this drawing. That could be because it was very sunny when I drew this so there was not a lot to add but also I feel I was not able to execute well. I was having a difficult time seeing the values and then translating that value in my head and getting my hand to create a mark. Nonetheless, I am happy with this drawing. This is the first drawing that I have done of home and it is the first drawing I have made that makes me feel something other than a reflection on the quality of my work.

1. Hey Max
      1) I really enjoy the composition of this drawing. It almost follows the “rule of thirds.” The first third of the paper is marked by the hallway with more value, and the third half is just as busy, containing the ship and the plant. The ship and the plant and my favorite parts of the drawing. The plant is not particularly detailed but at the same time has a lot of personality, which is something that is difficult to accomplish. On the other hand, the ship might be the most detailed part of this drawing. The hard, sharp lines of the sail contrast the organic lines of the plant, but both still have that sketchy quality.

2) I think the drawing could be improved by altering the hallway/kitchen area. I’m not sure exactly what’s wrong. The fridge and the wall seem kind of flat, and this takes away from the space that I know exist in this drawing. I think part of the problem is the fridge is mostly the same value as the wall and that we can’t see the top of the fridge very well. Perhaps, the shading or the atmospheric perspective needs to change. I also question whether or not the shadow of this chair was the darkest part of this scene. Adding some other darker shadows or lines might make the picture seem more cohesive.

2. Like Anibal, I too really enjoyed the composition and think you did a great job capturing the space and all of the different layers and components between the two rooms and the table as well. Additionally, I think the shadow around the chair and plant are really well done. If there were any things that could be improved upon I would say that there needs to be a stronger contrast between all of the different objects in the doorway. The way the image is right now, and how all the objects are roughly the same shade makes everything blend together and you loose the depth. I also think your lines could be stronger in general because they start to fade a little bit in certain areas and it could really accentuate the depth and perspective if the lines were stronger. Otherwise I think that this is really well done and beautifully put together.

3. Great job on this, Max. A strong composition that creates a quiet drama using a found still-life (at least it appears you haven’t done any arranging). Either way, it gives it a candor and sense of familiarity that are engaging.

I agree that the role of shading is an issue. Shading doesn’t have to cover every square inch to the same degree, but in this drawing it’s conspicuously absent on the wall, dresser, and elsewhere. Not sure why this was a challenge but I’d be happy to meet on Zoom to sort that out. Curious to see how your work with value went for you this week.

Great use of that cast shadow to direct our eye to the focal point of the boat, assisted by the perspective line in the room to the left. Great use of the rectangular shapes in the mirror behind the boat to quiet that space and foreground the boat, pushing it toward us a bit (imagine that area without the mirror—less dramatic).

One comment suggests distinguishing those items more but I like the way they’re in shadow; present, but not cluttering up the drawing or distracting from the main view.

I would say the shading on a diagonal (with the perspective) is too insistent. When objects are in shadow together best to use a longer stroke that passes over all of them together, to unify the sense of light rather than distinguishing the individual items.

The boat is beautifully drawn. The plant is more of a side-kick here but deserved more attention; a bit too sketchy. The cross contours on the pot are exaggerated and too energetic, stealing attention from the “star”—the boat.

Although the boat is a lovely centerpiece, the great thing about this image to me is the metaphor of a boat “stranded” indoors. Boats are meant for the water, of course, and this seems like a fitting metaphor of how we’re all stuck indoors these days like fish out of water.

I’m adding a favorite painting of mine by Fairfield Porter that yours reminded me of. It was done at his home in Penobscot Bay.